Powered By Blogger

Thursday 19 March 2009

Dalston Hall A Wedding Photographers view

Here are my views and observations of another of my favourite wedding venues.

Dalston Hall A Wedding Photographers Dream









Dalston Hall is a fantastic wedding venue. The great thing for anyone living in Carlisle is that its only a stones throw away from the border city. Even though it is not far from Carlisle, as soon as you step into the grounds, you could be a million miles away.

I have always found it to be an amazing building, but it wasnt until it was taken over a few years ago by what I presume to be a family that this fantastic place came into its own.

Ever since then, the place has been transformed in every way. They have obviously invested heavily in this lovely old building.

The Grade 2 listed castle has a great history to it also and any renovations that have been done have not spoiled this.

There is an amazing contrast to this venue which any photographer who knows what they are doing will take full advantage.

If the weather is good couples can have their ceremony outside in the lovely surroundings.

See below:-



This is the contrast I was talking about. Outside can be bright and sunny, while inside is dark and atmospheric.

As I have said before, most wedding photographers can deal with everything as long as there is plenty of light. Very few can capture the atmosphere at a wedding in a dark castle.

Fortunately I have done many low light weddings and this venue has never posed any problems for me.

Once again, if you are a wedding photographer wanting to capture nice images in dark places like this, you will need at least a 1.8 lense with at least a high quality 1600 iso mode on your camera.

This is if you are an available light shooter like myself. I can never really understand photographers using flash in places like this. It completely kills the atmosphere in the photographs.

I recently did a shoot of an evening wedding at there and I still never resorted to flash.

I can honestly say I believe there would be no other photographer in Cumbria that could have achieved this. There maybe a select few throughout the uk who would have coped with the darkest atmosphere I have ever encountered.

A Dark Romantic Atmosphere which suits the building! The couples that book here do so for this atmosphere.

It is therefore my job to capture this without spoiling it by using a flash or switching lights on.
I always love seeing how they set the tables out at dalston hall. It looks straight out of a mideival banquet!
These guys have just got everything right and the table layout goes well in this kind of environment.
The bedrooms are very well lit, I find and taking the getting ready shots are easy!
See below:-
Another thing I have always been impressed with is their sound system here. So many times at other venues, I have witnessed a tape recorder or small cd player controlled by someone who doesnt really know how to control the volume. Everyone waits for the bride only for the bride to be still waiting outside the room because she cant hear that the music has started.
The sound system is superb and controlled by somebody who knows exactly the correct volume.
Its a big place and anything less than this just wouldnt work. As I have said the guys there have thought of everything to make everything run smoothly without a hitch.
The food I have also been told by many couples is superb!
If you are thinking of getting hitched at Dalston Hall, you really cant go wrong.
Once again, it is very important to choose the right photographer for somewhere like this or your memories of that lovely dark atmosphere will not be captured in the the photography.
Wedding Photography at Dalston hall is like a dream for myself and I just love being booked to capture anyones day here.
Five stars from me!!!
For some video's of this venue follow the links below:-

No comments: