Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 13 April 2010

When will the technology slow down?

I remember when I shot a lot more film than I do now and it was a golden time believe me! You would buy a camera and it would last you 10 years or more. If it broke you would get it repaired!
These days I find I am replacing camera's every 2 years. Why? Because they keep improving things! For this reason I never buy the most expensive model as whats the point if in a 4 years time its obsolete? I have been happy with my Nikon D90 for some time now but there is always some flaws that niggle me. Then yes indeed they bring another model out that does something new and I have to convince myself that I should stick with the camera I already have.
The main thing which keeps improving is the increased iso's on these camera's. The Nikon D3s can basicly see in the dark! 6400 iso speed on these new digital cameras look like 800 iso film.
Then there's the whole movie thing thats going on at the moment! I hate to say but I'm a sucker for all of this!!! I look at these shiny new toys and want them so much! I think there's a movie maker in every photographer and Canon/Nikon have took advantage of this.
The camera I still covet is the Canon 5d mkii! There have been other models like the Nikon D3S but the Canon still calls out to me in the night!!! The fact is this camera should be all any photographer would ever need or want! 21mp, Iso up to 25600! HD movie now has 24p after the latest firmware update. Its full frame so I could run around with my 50mm lense like the old days with my Canon F1!! Can you see where I'm coming from here? Is this a camera that would last me 10 years like the old days? You can only wait so long before you stop hanging on for the ultimate camera to come along! What about noise on hi iso photo's? They will probably improve this! But why would I want that? I like the noise in black and white photo's! I loved grain in my days of film!
So I will keep my eyes on this wonderful camera but will I keep stopping myself from getting it?

No comments: