Powered By Blogger

Sunday 13 July 2008

The Man Behind The Curtain(The Wizard of Oz)


For years now I have owned a book by a french photographer called Jean-Francois Jonvelle. I had always admired the photo's that were in this book because they were of gorgeous girls in very ordinary situations and in my eyes beautiful photos. If you google him you will see what I mean. In my mind these were all girls that were either his friends or even more, something much more intimate. In my past I have seen many moments with girls I have been close to that I have either captured or missed, much like the images I admired in this book.
Looking at such beauty of a woman while she is just lying on her bed in the morning. As she dries her hair, puts her makeup on or just looks at you in a certain way, surely this is something that a photographer would feel they needed to capture! Much the way I do any of my photography I have always believed the capture of a moment is of the utmost importance in my art.
When I first looked at jonvelles book I completely admired these photographs and envied him in a way to have had these moments with so many different women and captured them rather than being lost in the moment.
Imagine my surprise when I saw some behind the scenes photo's of the very photo's I admired so much, only to see a makeup artist, assistants, huge reflectors and some studio lighting.
I have never been a big fan of THE MAKING OF this that and the other. I am a big fan of Movies but I really dont want the illusion spoilt by seeing the Strings so to speak.
Jonvelle has some lovely images, but I'm afraid I would rather have kept my illusion that these were moments captured rather than posed portraits.

No comments: