Powered By Blogger

Saturday 12 July 2008

A Place of Quiet


As I sit here in the childrens section in the local library I can't help noticing how things have changed. Obviously I'm not here to read the childrens books, but my little girl is choosing her weekly books.
Rather than the peace and quiet of the library when I was a boy, there are children here fighting with swords. Not real swords of course but the foam kind which still sting if you get wacked with the end. I know this because I somehow got involved in a sword fight with some kids. I feel a bit like Arnie in kindergartden
cop and I'm built in quite a similar way to him also!
Its a far cry from my thoughts of what my visit to a library would be all about. My ideal library visit I would be using one of those machines twiddling buttons to flick through pages of a newspaper from 1941 only to see a photo of myself and realise I was some kind of immortal!
But instead I sit here with a toy crown on my head and a sword on my knee.
Maybe I am immortal after all!

No comments: